Requirements to Qualify for Tax Exemption
Sarasota, FL County Property Appraiser
$25,000 Homestead Exemption:
In order to file for a Homestead Exemption for the first time, each person having legal title to the property and residing thereon must meet the following qualifications:
1) Be permanently residing on the property
2) Have equitable title to the property
3) Have established permanent residence in the State of Florida by one of the following:
a. Register to vote or
b. File a Declaration of Domicile with the Clerk of Circuit Court. (If the property owner is not a U.S. citizen, he must have a permanent Visa Card in addition to a Declaration of Domicile.)
4) Hold valid Florida Driver’s License. (Applicant must relinquish any other state licenses.
5) Have Florida vehicle tags for each privately owned vehicle.
Filing Date and Place:
Initial application for Homestead Exemption may be filed at any time, in person, on or before March 1st of the year for which the exemption applies at either of the 2 offices below:
1) Main office, 2001 Adams Ln, Sarasota, FL 34237 (941-951-5650)
2) S. County Office, 4000 S. Trail, Rm 115, Venice, FL 34293 (941-492-3030)
In order to file for a Homestead Exemption, applicants must bring with them the following documents as proof of ownership and Florida residence:
1) Deed or Tax Bill for the property
2) Voter’s Card or Declaration of Domicile
3) Florida Driver’s License
4) Florida Vehicle Registration
5) Social Security Number
There are additional exemptions available such as Widow’s, Widower’s, Medical Disability and Service Connected Disabilities. For complete information regarding these exemptions, contact the Sarasota Property Appraiser’s Office at 941-951-5650.